Image Map

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Strawberry Mango Coconut Smoothie

   I love smoothies. I mean I LOVE smoothies and so do my boys. We drink them fairly often and now that I'm under doctors orders to stay away from raw fruits and vegetables, unless they are pureed, we will be eating having them on a even more often. 

   Which, can I whine to you a little? I am craving a spinach salad like CRAZYYYY!!!!! The lack of raw veg in my life is making me cranky! And of course the other thing that I can't eat is junk food. Basically I need to eat as little preservatives as possible but I can't eat too many fruits, veg, or meat. Basically I can eat carbs. I know sounds like a dream right? Well, I'm less than thrilled. I always want what I can't have, at least when it comes to food. 



   Now, that is out of my system, let me tell you about this smoothie. I originally planned on adding carrot juice or spinach and flax seed but I am out of all of the above. I need to restock my refrigerator. But this smoothie is perfect for getting kids who are normally picky eaters to feel like they are drinking a milk shake. The Greek yogurt and coconut milk make it creamy enough to trick a picky eater into thinking, it is in fact, a treat. Like with any other smoothie, I wouldn't look at these portions as set in stone, just a guide. I added honey this time but if my fruit was a bit sweeter I wouldn't have added any this time. I would also rather use fresh produce but I often go to frozen for convenience. If you do the same, make sure you not using fruit that has been packed in syrup. You want fruit that has be cleaned cut and frozen. 



Strawberry Mango Coconut Smoothie
serves approximately 4 people

6 oz (3/4 cup) Greek yogurt (I used strawberry)
7 oz (1/2 can) coconut milk
6 oz (3/4 cup) coconut water
4 oz (1/2 cup) orange juice (I used fresh squeezed)
3 tablespoons oats
2 handfuls frozen mango
2 handfuls frozen strawberries
*honey* optional

Combine everything in a blender and blend until smooth. Drink immediately. 

No comments:

Post a Comment