Image Map

Monday, August 15, 2011

Strawberry Shortcake Trifle

I love trifles! I really really really love trifles! I make them any chance I get. I mean, what is there not to love?!?!?! Cake, a fruit sauce of some sort, maybe some custard and whipped cream, that is a recipe for some oooey gooey creamy, dreamy awesomeness! Plus I have some kind of strange love for trifle bowls. I mean really, a bowl on a pedestal!? That evokes something delectable doesn't it? I happened upon this little beauty at one of those off the beaten path flea markets. The type that will have a table with bone china next to someone selling mass produced toys of Disney characters but aren't the licensed version so they are Mikey Mouse instead of Mickey.  Anyway, I found it for less than $10.00 and could not leave without it.

This one was one of my best! The crazy thing is that there is no strict recipe.
Lousy Picture huh? It was gone before I could get a good shot! I was lucky to get this one!
First I made my favorite white cake. Once it cooled I crumbled it into the bottom of my favorite trifle bowl. While that was baking I cooked a large bag of frozen whole strawberries, in a large saucepan covered 3/4 of the way up with water and about 3/4 of a cup (I'm guessing here) of raw sugar. Simmer over medium heat until the strawberries can be mashed with the back of a spoon. You could easily leave it this way but I wanted my smooth so I pureed my in the food processor. Mine was extra tart so I added a bit of honey and vanilla extract but a vanilla bean would have been AMAZING!!! Or some balsamic vinegar would have be great too. I put them back on the stove to thicken a bit more. When it was to the right consistency I set it in the refrigerator to cool but, you could let it come to room temperature slowly, but I was in a hurry. When I started the strawberries I put my metal mixing bowl and whisk attachment for my mixer in the freezer. When we were about to walk out the door I beat a medium size container of heavy cream and slowly added just a bit of confectioner sugar, for a touch of sweetness. I also had a frozen, small to go container because we had an hour car ride in the heat and I wanted it to stay fluffy. When we got there I topped the trifle and we were ready to eat.

Now I only got a tiny bit of the trifle and was quite proud of myself. But I knew it was amazing when Lee's grandmother, Mom-Mom, could not stop telling me how good it was. She is one person I love to get approval from. Since the first time I cooked for Lee he has compared my food to hers and she loves that I keep her baby boy well fed and satisfied.

No comments:

Post a Comment