Image Map

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Homemade Strawberry Syrup


While any kind of syrup in milk is not the healthiest thing to give my boy sometimes as a mom I have to get inventive to get good things in him. My oldest doesn't really like plain milk, he'll drink it sometimes, but rarely.
Can I just point out how adorable my Monkey is!!!
 And I know he sounds like any normal kid that prefers chocolate milk but I hate hate hate the taste of plain milk, in fact the only time I drink it is with a huge piece of chocolate cake or a brownie and then I rarely finish the glass. The only milk I drink untouched is Almond Coconut Milk. So when  Monkey tells me he can't drink it I don't push too hard. To get his some calcium I add a little chocolate or strawberry syrup. But lately I've realized how much junk goes into our foods so I try to make as much homemade as possible. This syrup is the same recipe I use for Italian Sodas as well. It's pretty versatile and easy.

basically toss everything in your pot then puree 

 strain

some seeds may sneak through

pour into your jar

let cool

then drink



Strawberry Syrup
2 16 oz containers of fresh strawberries
1 cup water
1/3 cup raw sugar*

Place all ingredients into a pot over medium high heat and bring to a boil. Boil 5 minutes, stirring regularly  making sure nothing burns to the bottom. Puree (I used an immersion blender) and return to a medium heat. Simmer for 5 minutes. Strain into a bowl. Let cool and pour into your jar. and refrigerate. Keeps around two weeks.

*Use whatever type of sweetener you prefer. I used raw sugar because I had it on hand. Truly I planned on using Agave Nectar but was totally out. Just remember to change measurement accordingly  Also these strawberries were fairly tart but you can lower or raise the amount for your taste.


No comments:

Post a Comment