Image Map

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Spicy Peanut Noodles {A lunch time favorite}


I needed comfort food today. I was making up for the lack of it yesterday, when I needed it most. Yesterday, no one and nothing would go along with the plan I laid out for the day. And just when I was about to explode, on the interstate with the Mr. and the boys our Jeep went comatose. There we were stranded in 80+ degree weather on the side of the interstate in rush hour traffic. Luckily my in laws came to our rescue and brought the boys and me home while the hubs waited for a tow truck. It could have been much worse so I am thankful, very thankful that it wasn't but I was/am stressed!!! So umm... Yeah, that happened but now back to the food. I don't crave your "typical" southern style comfort food when I'm stressed. While I love biscuits and fried chicken like any true southerner for me comfort food (other than mashed potatoes) includes soy sauce and rice vinegar. My quick and easy favorite is this spicy peanut noodle meal. I used to have this for lunch at least once a week but lately I've been juicing for lunch or eating raw fruit and veg. I've missed these noodles.


*This is not a true recipe because I never make them the same way twice. Adjust the ingredients to you're taste. I have also been known to through in left over veggies from the previous night.*

Spicy Peanut Noodles
For 2 people I use approximately
1/3 of a box of spaghetti noodles
2-3 tablespoons soy sauce
1/4 cup peanut butter
1-2 tablespoon rice wine vinegar or lemon juice
1/8 cup honey
Sriracha
1 raw carrot, grated
a small handful of peanuts chopped
Sriracha

Boil your pasta as you normally would. In a bowl whisk together soy sauce and peanut butter. Until well combined. Then add in your vinegar and honey. Taste to make sure you don't need more of something. Add a few drops of Sriracha, then stir and taste again.  Once pasta is done, drain and toss with your sauce. It should just coat your pasta, you don't want it swimming in sauce. Once coated stir in the carrot, the heat from the pasta will soften the carrots slightly yet still leave a crunch.  Portion into two bowls. Top with peanuts and add a few drops of Sriracha. Enjoy while warm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment