Image Map

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Chicken Tikka Masala


We have a few favorites around here that we eat at least once month if not more often, Chicken Tikka is one of them. It is easy and even though it takes a bit of time, it isn't constant, chopping, shredding, stirring, etc... I use the time to do my dishes, clean my counters, whip up a dessert, secretly dance around my kitchen to MC Hammer songs, or whatever my moods moves me to do.


Normally I make Quick Pickled Cucumbers or roasted broccoli and have Naan to go along with the rice. You'll definitely want Naan, pita or some sort of bread to soak up any last bit of sauce. I almost licked my plate tonight. But I am a lady, sort of, so I restrained myself.


For the Chicken Tikka Masala you will need:


1 cup of plain Greek yogurt
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
salt and pepper
4 boneless skinless chicken breast

Combine yogurt, ginger, garlic, salt and pepper in a gallon size freezer bag, add in chicken and toss. Let marinate for an hour or more.

2 tablespoons butter
2-3 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
2-3 tablespoons garlic, minced
1 Serrano or Jalapeno pepper diced (remember to remove the seeds unless you like it HOT)
4 tablespoons tomato paste
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoom garam masala
8-10 Roma tomatoes diced
1-1 1/2 cup of water
1/4 cup heavy cream
salt and pepper

In a skillet melt butter and add in ginger, garlic and the pepper. Saute until slightly golden approximately 3-4 minutes then add tomato paste. Cook until darkened just a bit add in paprika and garam masala, cook 2 minutes. Add in tomatoes and a cup of water. Simmer uncovered for 15-20 minutes. Transfer to food processor and process until a smooth texture. Add back to skillet and simmer while you grill chicken add in the remaining half cup of water if needed. I used my griddle but you can sear it in a skillet or on a grill. Grill until just brown on the outside and add to the curry. Finish cooking for approximately 5 minutes, could be more or less depending on your stove and size of our breast. Once chicken is cooked through stir in cream and season with salt and pepper. Serve with white or brown rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment