Image Map

Thursday, October 10, 2013

Baba Ganoush

If I went back in time five and a half years and told my newlywed husband I was making him a vegan dip for lunch he may have asked for an annulment. When the mister and I got married he was fairly picky and unadventurous with food. He also had to have some sort of meat with every meal and seafood was questionable. Now he loves meatless meals, trying new things and simple light meals like Baba Ganoush with carrots to dip. I make this fairly often on Friday nights, the kids are at my in laws and we usually have a movie night at home. I'll get a bowl of this and cut up some carrots and toast some pitas and will snack through the movie and by the end we feel like we have been indulgent but in actuality we have been fairly healthy. This recipe makes about about four cups so we have enough for lunch for a couple of days.



Baba Ganoush
(makes approximately 4 cups, depending on the size of your eggplant)
1 eggplant, cut into chunks
juice of 1 large or 2 small lemons
3 tablespoons tahini
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons cumin
2 tablespoons sesame oil
2-3 tablespoons soy sauce
1/4 cup olive oil (I prefer extra virgin)
2 tablespoons sesame seed, toasted
(I toast my in a dry pan over medium heat until they are lightly golden and I can smell their aroma)

Preheat you oven to 400° F. Cover baking sheet in foil and spread eggplant out in a even layer. Roast for approximately 10-15 minutes until tops are golden brown and eggplant is wilted. Place warm eggplant, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, soy sauce and sesame oil in a food processor or blender, blend until combined. While still running stream in olive oil. Taste and season accordingly. Depending on the bitterness of your eggplant, more lemon or soy sauce may be needed. Sprinkle on toasted sesame seeds when ready to eat. I prefer mine warm but cold is delicious as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment