Image Map

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Mango Cardamom Oatmeal

Normally breakfast around here is greek yogurt because its easy and since I don't eat much throughout the day I know I'm getting protein and calcium that I desperately need. Luckily my hubby and boys love yogurt almost as much as I do but, every once in awhile I like to have something of substance for breakfast. Oatmeal is a quick and filling meal that will stay with me until lunch and can be thrown together in the morning or even the night before, so I can fix it while still half asleep. This version has some exotic flavors that I love love love! It can also be made vegan and gluten free. Combine this with an iced coffee (yes, I drink them all year long) and I am ready to go, nice and full, albeit still half awake but ready to start my day.


Serves 4:

1 14 oz can coconut milk
1 cup almond milk
1 tsp cardamom
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4-1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg 
zest and juice of an orange
1/3 cup agave nectar, turbinado (raw) sugar or honey
2 cups rolled oats
2 cups mango (I used frozen but fresh would be best if in season)

honey and almond milk for topping or greek yogurt

In a medium saucepan whisk together milks, spices, orange juice and zest and sweetener. Bring mixture to a boil and stir in mango and oats, reduce to simmer. Simmer until thickened, about 5-8 minutes. Eat warm top with a splash of milk and/or honey (or agave or raw sugar if vegan.)

No comments:

Post a Comment