Image Map

Monday, February 17, 2014

Hot and Sour Soup {Everyday Dinners}

   I love Hot and Sour Soup. When I was growing up my Mom and Granny took me to get Chinese at least once a week. Egg Drop was my soup of choice, every once in a while I would get Wonton Soup, which is my egg hating Mom's soup of choice. It wasn't until I was an adult that my Dad convinced me to try Hot and Sour Soup. My first time I was hooked.




   Here is the funny thing about my Dad and Chinese food, when he dated my Mom she tried to get him to eat it all the time. He, being a very picky eater at the time, refused. It wasn't until he started dating my Step-Mom that she forced him to eat it. He was hooked after he almost died by covering his egg roll in hot mustard. Now that is a funny story! My little brother did the same thing with wasbi about five years ago. Their genius clearly runs in the family. Yeah, they will never live it down. That's what family is for right?




   When I first married my husband he and I went out for Chinese often. We had a favorite restaurant we ate at at least twice a month. Once cold night the owner gave us a complimentary bowl of hot and sour soup to share. I didn't get a drop. My husband was now hooked. He had no clue he was eating tofu. Now that kind of thing doesn't bother him, but back then, he would have never, ever even tried it knowing there was tofu in it. It's amazing what being married for six years to a woman constantly forcing new things on him can do. I had no clue how easy it is to make. It is a new staple around here! I may have to make a second batch to send to my Dad. When I updated my Facebook status sounding my victory over producing a winning Hot and Sour Soup he dropped a not so subtle hint that he was in need of a bowl of the liquid gold. 





Hot and Sour Soup
serves 4 full sized portions or 8 appetizer portions

1 tablespoon seasme oil
2 cups sliced shiitake mushrooms
1 tablespoon grated ginger
1 tablespoon grated garlic
4 cups chicken or beef broth
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoon Sriracha* or Red Pepper Flakes
2 tablespoons corn starch
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
1/2 package of tofu, diced
2 eggs, beaten

In a stock pot or large wok over medium high heat oil and saute mushrooms after a couple of minutes add ginger and garlic. Once the mushrooms begin soften add broth, soy sauce and Sriracha. Bring to a boil. In a small bowl whisk corn starch and vinegar. Stir into soup and let thicken, it should only take a couple minutes. Add in tofu. Bring back to a boil. Add the eggs through a slotted spoon making ribbons. Give a stir and taste, season accordingly. Serve warm.

*I made my own and used this recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment